Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Ralphs Rocks


                                     IMG_0472.PNG
                                                 Entering Adulthood

At the beginning of my senior year in high school, I was eager to obtain a part time job. I was not involved in any sports, clubs, or any other activities, so I felt like I wasn't really being productive with my life. I knew work was out there but I did not want to go out and look for it. My parents urged to get a job because I had a great amount of extra time on my hands and nothing to do with it. I knew the time would come and eventually, it did. Particularly, getting a part time job motivated to never give up on life, even if it meant facing challenges along the way. For this reason, I am glad that I got a first job because it has created a new perspective on the way I look at life. My job at Ralphs has taught me many lessons that would not only help myself now, but will help myself in the future as well.
Having a part time job as a student made me realize the difficulties it comes with. Throughout many applications and interviews, I was very discouraged due to the fact that nobody wanted to hire me. I felt as low as a basement. After months and months for the search of a first job, I finally got what I was looking for. However, I later than realized that being responsible is a major key factor not only as a part time employee, but as a full time student as well. For example, people who currently have jobs as a student know how crucial conversing time and money is when fulfilling the necessities student encounter. For a long time, I would always spend my money on things I didn't really need but when I really need the money, I didn't have it. Also, I would constantly rely on my parents to provide money when I needed it and they eventually got tired of it. This is where I took initiative and become responsible with the money that I earned from working. To add on, time is so crucial when having a busy work and school schedule. Instead of going out and partying, on some occasions, I have to sacrifice my nights to hours and hours of unfinished homework. While currently still having a job, I still learn new things every day;however, having a job is not at all what I expected. I am grateful for my job even though it may not be the best.
Working as a courtesy clerk at Ralphs has been a daily struggle ever since I got the job. Many may say that being a courtesy clerk isn't all that bad, little do they know that it's tougher than it looks. Before I was hired at Ralphs, I didn't appreciate the efforts that the employees had to go through enough. The duties as a courtesy clerk involve: bagging the customer’s groceries, collecting carts and placing them in the “cart corral”, and any other customer needs throughout the store. When we are required to push carts we are assigned by a specific hour, and that one hour is a dreadful experience that deadens me by the second. While wearing an all black uniform from head to toe, I could feel the scorching sun pound on my skin as I count every second until my hour is over. When I'm not outside pushing carts, I’m inside dealing with customers that can be extremely picky when grocery shopping. For instance, a customer will complain that the store is too “noisy” or too “big.” I cannot believe how high maintenance some people are and some things are just beyond my control. Despite the challenges I face on a daily basis, I am confident that my position isn't all that bad.
Instead of focusing on the negatives about having a job, I’d like to mention how it has its perks. While having no experience prior to this job, I was lucky enough to get hired, later providing me with experience. A numerous amount of companies focus on the type of experience one may obtain, and presume how he/she will use it in the future. It is difficult when people try to get a first job because in order to get that job, experience is required. After all, how could you have experience if you’ve never had a job? That is the question I would always ask myself. Almost a year has passed since I’ve worked at Ralphs and I have noticed a big improvement with my customer service skills. This job has taught me to be very patient with certain people because “The customer is always right.” Throughout the months, I have succeeded to meet new people and have been recognized for my excellent customer service skills. I am encouraged every day to “keep up the good work” regardless of what kind of day I’m having out of work. On the other hand, I am aware of how to handle specific situations in a professional manner. I am confident that this job has better prepared me for the future and will continue to do so day by day. I would've never thought I would gain experience because it felt like forever without it, but I'm proud to say that I do. This job has put me through a lot and for that, I am grateful.

Having a job changed how I viewed society, and created me into an adult. Truly, I was not ready for this change;however, I quickly got accustomed to this new way of living. Sadly, I do miss the fun times I was able to experience more with my family and friends care free of having to manage my time or money in between. “That's life!” My parents often say to me now. As a result, I have finally accepted that I am now an adult and all the fun things can come after you get your stuff done. Upon close reflection, I have realized that having jobs can be faced with great obstacles, whether it is part time or full time. I plan to use my current knowledge for future opportunities and my goal is to strive for the best. Whatever my profession may be in the future, I am sure that one day I can use my experience as a tool from my first job and be proud of who I become. Like they say, “Never forget where you came from.” I will truly never forget how being a courtesy clerk changed my life and will always remember the unforgettable experiences that has come, and will come later in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment